This is a tray-bake version of the classic bar snack, buffalo wings, and is dead simple. You can marinate the chicken overnight if you have time, to give it even more flavour. You can leave the chicken to marinate in the hot sauce for one hour, or even overnight, if you like.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
- 50g butter
- 3 tbsp Frank’s Red Hot Original Sauce
- 1 tbsp white-wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic granules
- 1kg chicken thighs, skin and bone on
- 100g mayonnaise
- 50g sour cream
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- 70g soft blue cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 220C/ 200C fan/gas mark 7.
- Put the butter, hot sauce, vinegar, sugar, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic granules and a huge pinch of sea salt into a small saucepan. Melt the butter, stirring occasionally, for two to three minutes over a low heat.
- Put the chicken thighs into a roasting tray and pour over two-thirds of the sauce. Mix well to coat the chicken and leave them sitting skin-side up. Roast for 40-45 minutes until the skin is crispy and the meat cooked through and tender.
- Meanwhile, put the mayonnaise, sour cream and lemon into a mixing bowl. Mash the cheese into the bowl then whisk the sauce with a fork. Season to taste if needed.
- Reheat the remaining hot smoky sauce, whisking occasionally, over a medium heat until bubbling.
- Put the chicken pieces on to a serving dish and pour over the hot smoky sauce. Serve immediately with the blue cheese sauce.